Deliciously creamy and sweet, this Instant Pot Arroz Con Leche is a family favorite dessert. This easy Mexican rice pudding, with a touch of cinnamon spice, is an irresistible treat that can be made in just 30 minutes with the help of your pressure cooker.
Gone are the days of standing at your stove, stirring continuously, hoping that your rice pudding doesn’t turn into a sticky and gooey mess. If you own an Instant Pot, you have nothing to worry about! This delectable arroz (rice) con (with) leche (milk) recipe turns out perfectly every time. The rice is pressure-cooked along with water and milk to create a gently spiced and sweetened creamy dessert that everyone adores.
The great thing about rice is that it’s an amazing canvas ingredient that can take on whatever flavorings you choose to use. Here, warming cinnamon adds that comforting and cozy touch that makes this rice pudding a crowd-pleasing dessert. However, if you’re willing to experiment, you can branch out and try add-ins and toppings that will up-level this classic rice pudding recipe to gourmet status.
INGREDIENTS FOR ARROZ CON LECHE
- Water – needed to cook the rice to fluffiness
- Evaporated milk – adds creaminess
- Whole milk – adds creaminess
- Long grain rice – my preferred rice choice and it works perfectly for this recipe when cooked in the Instant Pot.
- Salt – seasoning to bring out the flavors
- Cinnamon sticks or ground cinnamon – warming spice for flavoring
- Sweetened condensed milk – to add sweetness and creaminess
- Raisins (optional) – for a touch of delicious fruity sweetness
HOW DO I MAKE INSTANT POT RICE PUDDING?
At the risk of saying that this is a dump and cook recipe, it’s pretty much a dump and cook recipe!
Step 1: Add the water, evaporated milk, whole milk, rice, and salt to the Instant Pot. Stir to combine. If you’re using ground cinnamon, stir that in, too. If you’re using cinnamon sticks, just place them on the top.
Step 2: Place the lid on, making sure that the valve is in the sealing position.
Step 3: Select the PORRIDGE function and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
Step 4: When done, let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes, then quick release the remaining pressure.
Step 5: Add and stir in the sweetened condensed milk to taste.
Step 6: Served warm, garnished with a sprinkle of ground cinnamon.
DO I NEED TO RINSE THE RICE BEFORE COOKING?
You do not “need” to rinse the rice, but you may “want” to rinse it. I’ve done it both ways, and the results are delicious, either way. The idea is that if you rinse the rice until the water runs clear, this removes a lot of the starch so that the overall texture of the cooked pudding is smoother. That said, it depends on the type of rice you’re using, so your results may vary. My recommendation? Make it once without rinsing the rice and see how you like it. The next time you make it, rinse the rice and see if you notice a difference and which you prefer.
WHAT IS THE BEST RICE TO USE?
For this recipe, I prefer using long grain white rice. The pressure cooker will cook this particular rice perfectly along with the different milks and water for a creamy texture.
That said, if you choose to use short or medium grain rice, your results may vary in the texture department. Typically, short and medium grain rice contain more starch, even when rinsed, and will result in a more plump grain when cooked. Your pudding may be thicker because of this, which is why I prefer the long grain rice.
DO I SERVE RICE PUDDING HOT OR COLD?
Yes and yes! There’s nothing more delicious and satisfying than a warm bowl of fragrant arroz con leche on a chilly evening. You’ll feel cozy and satisfied with this sweet and milky cinnamon rice dessert.
That said, serving it chilled is equally delicious. It’s the perfect refreshing and scrumptious dessert for warm weather when it’s served cold.
My family likes it the next day, after it’s been chilled, as a morning breakfast option. Tip: if they do this, try adding some quick nutritious add-ins, as you’ll see mentioned in the next section.
Oh my goodness, you’ll have a wonderful time trying all the yummy variations with this pressure cooker rice pudding. You can elevate this from a classic dessert to a gourmet dessert with just a few scrumptious additions. You can also make it into a nutrition breakfast option by choosing some protein add-ins that make it perfect for a quick meal.
- Raisins and other dried fruits can either be stirred in with the water and milks at the start of the cooking process to plump them up or they can be stirred in after the cooking process.
Other ingredients to stir in or top with after the cooking process include:
- shredded coconut
- chopped nuts for some crunch and protein
- berries, such as blueberries, strawberries, raspberries
- sliced banana, apple, pear or peaches for fruity sweetness
- a dollop of peanut butter or almond butter, swirled in for protein
- a spoonful of honey, for some extra sweetness
- a sprinkle of brown sugar
- a dash of nutmeg
- a drizzle of caramel or chocolate sauce
As you can tell, almost anything goes in the topping department, depending on if you’re enjoying it as a sweet dessert or are using it as a breakfast item when you want more protein and fruit involved.
STORING RICE PUDDING
Arroz con leche may be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. If you’re not eating it cold, you can reheat it on the stovetop on medium-low. You’ll need to add a dash of water or milk to keep it from sticking to the bottom of your saucepan since it will have thickened up quite a bit from being in the fridge. Don’t walk away when reheating! You’ll need to keep stirring it to prevent burning.
Is there anything more comforting than homemade rice pudding? With its sweet taste and creamy texture, this Instant Pot Arroz Con Leche recipe is destined to become one of your most requested desserts.
Instant Pot Arroz Con Leche
- Instant Pot, 6 quarts or larger
- 3 cups water
- 1 (12 oz) can of evaporated milk
- 1 cup whole milk or 2% milk
- 1 cup long grain rice
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 cinnamon sticks (or 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon)
- 1 (12 oz) can of sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup raisins (optional)
- Add water, evaporated milk, whole milk, rice, and salt to the instant pot. Stir to combine. Place the cinnamon sticks on top (if you're using ground cinnamon, stir it in with the other ingredients).
- Place the lid on, making sure that the pressure release valve is in the sealing position.
- Select the [PORRIDGE] function for 20 minutes (or press PRESSURE COOK/MANUAL on high pressure for 20 minutes).
- When the time is up, let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes, then quick release the remaining pressure.
- Add sweetened condensed milk to taste (start with ¼ of the can, taste and add more, if needed).
- Serve warm topped with ground cinnamon.