Moroccan Lentil Soup is simple, hearty, healthy and delicious – red lentils are cooked in the Instant Pot and infused with warm, fragrant Moroccan spices. This one pot meal is easy to prep and easy to clean and packed with bold flavors!
Instant Pot lentil soup is so easy to make, it’s healthy and it only gets better with time. You can make a big batch and incorporate it into your meal prep for the week.
WHAT IS RED LENTIL AND WHY IS IT GOOD FOR YOU?
Red lentil color can range from yellow to bright orange or red. It tends to taste sweeter than most other lentils but it can easily lose its shape while cooking since it is skinless. Normally, red lentils can be cooked in the pressure cooker in about 4-5 minutes.
Not only is red lentil easy to cook, but it is also high in nutritional value and it’s inexpensive. It is a very good source of cholesterol-lowering fiber. It has a significant amount of folate, magnesium, and iron to help give you energy to burn while stabilizing blood sugar.
CAN YOU FREEZE INSTANT POT LENTIL SOUP?
Yes, my favorite thing to do is make a big batch in the Instant Pot and freeze half for another time. Before freezing, allow the soup to cool to room temperature, then put it in an airtight container and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you are ready to eat it, thaw the soup in the fridge overnight and then heat it up either in the microwave or on the stove.
Instant Pot Moroccan Lentil Soup
- Instant Pot
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 2 large cloves of garlic (minced)
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups dried red lentils (rinsed and drained well)
- 3 carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1-2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 24-oz can of crushed tomatoes
- red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 lemon (juice of 1 lemon)
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro (chopped)
- Turn the instant pot to sauté mode and wait until “Hot” appears. In the inner line pot, add olive oil and onions. Sauté for about 1-2 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Then, to the instant pot add garlic, carrots, and give it a quick stir. Deglaze the pot with vegetable broth. Make sure to scrape any bits that are stuck to the pot. Then, without stirring, add dry red lentils, crushed tomatoes, ground coriander, ground cumin, ground turmeric, paprika, cinnamon, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes (to taste), parsley, and cilantro.
- Close the instant pot lid. Turn the pressure valve to "sealed". Set on the Instant Pot to Manual – HIGH PRESSURE for 3-4 minutes (see tip below). Then, let it NATURAL RELEASE for 10 minutes and quick release the rest of the pressure.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Serve with more freshly chopped parsley/cilantro and a dollop of Greek yogurt (optional).