Looking for a quick weeknight meal? Or a tasty meal for game day? This air fryer brats recipe has you covered! You can have savory sausages with peppers and onions cooked and ready to devour in as little as 15 minutes!
Forget grilling, boiling or oven baking your bratwurst! The best way to cook this German sausage is in an air fryer. You'll get an amazing crispy outer layer while the inside is cooked to perfection and stays juicy. This is a tasty combo for bratwurst and is easy to achieve when you cook them in an air fryer.
My family, picky kid included, enjoy bratwurst with onions and peppers, and will gobble it up as is. We also like to snuggle the brats in a large sturdy bun and top with the peppers and onions for a hand-held meal.
- Bratwursts - there are so many varieties and flavors of brats available, so choose the one that sounds delicious to you.
- Onion, thinly sliced - will cook along with the bratwurst for a savory side or topping
- Red and/or green peppers, cut into thin slices, will cook along with the bratwurst for a savory side or topping
- Cooking oil spray - to lightly mist the brats, onions and peppers for cooking
HOW TO COOK BRATWURST IN THE AIR FRYER
- Preheat the air fryer to 370°F.
- Lightly mist the brats, onions and peppers for cooking.
- Place the brats and vegetables onto the air fryer tray. Lightly spray them with oil.
- Air fry for 10-12 minutes, flipping the bratwursts half way through cooking. You want the internal temperature to reach 160°F, or when the brats are no longer pink in the middle.
HOW LONG AND AT WHAT TEMPERATURE DO I COOK BRATWURST IN THE AIR FRYER?
Bratwursts will need to cook for at least 12 minutes set at 370°F. You will flip the brats half way through to ensure browning on all sides.
CAN I COOK FROZEN BRATWURST IN THE AIR FRYER?
Absolutely! Cook from frozen by setting the air fryer to 350°F and cook for 17 minutes. The brats will be cooked fully when their internal temperature reaches 160°F.
The most accurate way to check if your bratwursts are fully cooked is to use a meat thermometer. A less reliable way to check, if you don't have a meat thermometer, is by cutting one in the middle. If the meat is still pink, it's not cooked fully through. Continue cooking until the center is no longer pink. I would highly suggest getting a meat thermometer though. It's worth the investment to be sure and safe when cooking any type of meat.
HOW DO I KEEP MY AIR FRYER FROM SMOKING?
Because bratwurst is a high-fat content ingredient, there's a possibility of a little smoking when the grease drips while cooking. To avoid this, you should start with a clean air fryer. Make sure your drip tray is clean before starting the cooking process.
Here's my favorite tip to avoid smoking, not only with brats, but any high-fat ingredients, like hamburgers: place a few slices of bread underneath the basket in the drawer. The bread will act as a sponge and soak up the fat so that the grease won't fly around and create smoke. Brilliant!
- Place the bratwursts in a single layer with some space in between each to ensure browning on all sides.
- Make sure you flip the brats halfway through so that each side is evenly browned.
- When finished cooking, remove the bratwursts from the air fryer and let them sit for about 5 minutes before serving. This lets the internal juices rest and redistribute for a more flavorful experience when you take that first bite!
TYPE OF BUN TO USE WITH BRATS
If you choose to add your bratwurst to a bun, make sure you're not using a flimsy, soft hot dog bun. Those brats are going to be juicy and substantial so you need a bun that can hold it without falling apart. Look in your bakery department for a large, dense bun for these hearty brats.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BRATWURST
This recipe includes onions and peppers to be cooked along with the brats. This is one of the traditional side items or toppings for bratwurst. Here are some other German-inspired and American ideas on what to serve or how to top your brats.
- Grilled Peppers And Onions
- German Mustard
- Grilled Mushrooms
- Potato Salad
- Mashed Potatoes
- French Fries
- German Potato Pancakes
- Corn On The Cob
- Baked Beans
- Green Beans
- Cucumber Salad
- Grilled Vegetables
Leftover cooked and cooled bratwurst can be stored in the fridge, in a sealed container, for 2-3 days. To reheat, add them back into your air fryer at 350°F for 2-3 minutes.
If you don't want to eat them as is, consider cutting them into slices and using them as a pizza topping or in a pasta dish.
You can't beat air fryer bratwurst for a ridiculously easy and outrageously savory dinner that's family approved. Keep a package of your favorite bratwurst in the freezer so you'll always have this quick dinner option available.
Air Fryer Brats
- 4 bratwursts
- 1 large onion, cut into thin slices
- 2 red and/or green peppers, cut into thin slices
- cooking oil spray
- Preheat the air fryer to 370°F
- Place the brats and vegetables onto the air fryer basket. Spray the ingredients with cooking oil spray.
- Air fry for 10-12 minutes, flipping the bratwursts half way through cooking. You'll know the brats are done when the internal temperature is 145°F or it is no longer pink in the middle.